9 Ways to Minimize Your Health Care Spending
How to Save Some “Green” On Your Medical Bills
“Ay Carumba!” Oh Gosh, Ogre attitude alert! Yo Donkey, what’s up with your boy, Shrek? You know that ole’ green and mean disposition is well uh…played. Okay, we all know that he’s the scariest thing in the forest and he’s a bit miffed about rising healthcare costs. But he and his ride or die Princess Fiona started a family and of course, they were going to have a few medical bills here and there. In fact, do you know the Muffin Man? He and the Gingerbread Man see the same Dr. Baker and even they understand these forest physicians charge a lot of dough for their services.
Oh boy, now Shrek wants to step to Lord Farquaad about getting his last doctor bill eliminated altogether. Dude, that royal rascal won’t hook you up. He’s too busy looking in his magic mirror to care. Look Shrek, if you want to avoid those monstrous bills, you’ll need to find other ways to minimize your healthcare costs. We, at Achieve Financial Group, are going to give you some tips on how to reduce your medical bills:
1. Ask about generic medication or over-the-counter alternatives. You can save yourself more money on your co-pay, if you choose a medication that’s not a brand name.
2. Request a discount. Surprisingly, some long-time patients can receive a deal on medications and procedures because of their limited finances and loyalty.
3. Follow your doctor’s orders. Failure to do so could make your condition worse and cause you more money in medical bills in the long run.
4. Check out other pharmacies for the same medication at a lower cost.
5. Get a high-deductible plan. You may pay more of a deductible before you can use your insurance, but your monthly premiums will be lower.
6. Use a Flexible Spending Account (FSA). It allows you to put aside income before its taxed and use it towards medical bills throughout the year.
7. Eat healthy and exercise. You’ll reduce your visits to the doctor.
8. Consider mail-order prescriptions. If it’s a medication that you must take on a regular basis, you could save money buying a three-month supply.
9. Find out who the drug manufacturer is. Visit their site and see if they offer any discounts or coupons on the medications you buy directly from them.
Now, Shrek, we know you like your privacy, but thanks for letting us kick some healthcare knowledge to you. So, the next time you’re looking a little unusually green, you’ll know how to attack the issue. Remember, you’re a family man and not only will you keep wifey and the little ones safe in the forest, you’ll keep them safe from unnecessary medical ex. #AchieveMore